img

Date Post :  21-02-2015

Logo

 

         The logo of the Treasury Department, Ministry of Finance, is a circle with an Unalome symbol,which has been used since the period of King Rama I, serving as the trademark for the King’s Real Estate. The interior of the Unalome is a drawing of a legendary bird-like animal, the Vayupak (sometimes called Kalaviṅka). The exterior part surrounding the circle is a Thai vector pattern called Kanok Plew Loi with the name of the Treasury Department below the circle. The Unalome symbol represents the authority of the Treasury Department as proclaimed in the Currency Reserve Act, B.E. 2491 (1948) and the Currency Act, B.E.2501 (1958).

The trademark is the sign which shows that the Treasury Department has authority under the Ministry of Finance, according to the State Property Act, 1975 (B.E. 2518).The drawing of the Vayupak indicates that the Treasury Department is under the authority of the Ministry of Finance, according to the Chronicles of Royal Emblems and Positional Seals of Thailand.

Source: The Royal Government Gazette , Vol. 101 (special issue), Part 195, page 47, dated 28 December B.E. 2527 (1984).

         The Treasury Department was established on 23 May, 1933, in the reign of Phra Bat Somdet Phra Poramintharamaha Prajadhipok Phra Pok Klao Chao Yu Hua (King Rama VII) comprising four principle agencies: the Kasapsitthikarn Royal Thai Mint, the Great Royal Treasury Department (Krom Phra Khlang MahaSombat), The Currency Department (Krom Nguen Tra), the Department of Royal State Property and Public Property (Krom Raksa Thee Luang Lae Kalpana). It was established by the Royal Decree for Reorganizing Agencies of the Ministry of Finance, B.E. 2476 (1933). It was originally the Royal Treasury Department (Krom Phra Khlang), later changed to the Department of the Treasury and Trade (Kromma Khlang) on 9 December, 1933, according to the Royal Decree on Reorganizing State Enterprise Policy Offices and Departments , B.E. 2495 (1952), and was then changed again to the Treasury Department (Krom Thanaruk) on 12 March, 1952, its current name. The four departments that comprised the Treasury Department had the following responsibilities:

MInt_Treasury.gifMInt_Treasury2.gif

Icon1.gif Department of the Kasapsitthikarn Royal Thai Mint


         In 1857, King Mongkut (Rama IV) took the initiative to establish a mint to make a flat coin following a standard design to replace the traditional coin known as pod duang.  As a result, he ordered Thai delegates to order a minting machine from England and and have it installed install it in the Grand Palace in early 1860 The department was then named The Kasapsitthikarn Royal Thai Mint, later changed to the Mint Division and, at present, to the Bureau of the Royal Thai Mint.


Icon1.gif The Great Royal Treasury Department (Krom Phra Khlang MahaSombat)


         Collection Department (Krom Keb) under the The Great Royal Treasury Department was initially established to manage royal revenue and expenditures as well as manage the accounts for royal assets in Bangkok. It also acted as the central agency for receiving money from the Collection Department and sending money to to financial offices in the principle provinces around the country. The name Krom Keb was changed to Krom Phra Khlang MahaSombat in 1912.

 

Icon1.gif The Currency Department (Krom Nguen Tra)


         This department was established with the proclamation of the Monetary Act, B.E. 2445 (1902), which authorized the government to issue promissory notes for circulation, in legal terms, a banknote (thanabat). According to the proclamation, money would be paid on demand to anyone presenting such a note. The issuer and the account payer were called the Banknote Department (Krom Thanabat). Later, in 1909, the department was placed under the supervision of the Police Department and the Accountant General, and the name was changed to the Department of the Comptroller General. In 1928, the name Krom Thanabat was changed to the Currency Department. After the Royal Decree for Reorganizing State Enterprise Policies, B.E. 2476 (1933), the Currency Department became the Currency Division with the mission of managing banknotes and coins under the supervision of the Treasury Department. When the Bank of Thailand was established in 1942, the supervision of banknote activities was transferred to the Bank of Thailand, and the Currency Department came under the supervision of the Division of Banknote Management, the Currency Department.

 

Icon1.gif The Currency Department (Krom Nguen Tra)


         This department was established with the proclamation of the Monetary Act, B.E. 2445 (1902), which authorized the government to issue promissory notes for circulation, in legal terms, a banknote (thanabat). According to the proclamation, money would be paid on demand to anyone presenting such a note. The issuer and the account payer were called the Banknote Department (Krom Thanabat). Later, in 1909, the department was placed under the supervision of the Police Department and the Accountant General, and the name was changed to the Department of the Comptroller General. In 1928, the name Krom Thanabat was changed to the Currency Department. After the Royal Decree for Reorganizing State Enterprise Policies, B.E. 2476 (1933), the Currency Department became the Currency Division with the mission of managing banknotes and coins under the supervision of the Treasury Department. When the Bank of Thailand was established in 1942, the supervision of banknote activities was transferred to the Bank of Thailand, and the Currency Department came under the supervision of the Division of Banknote Management, the Currency Department.

The final department, which has since been eliminated, under the Royal Treasury Department was the Department of Royal State Property and Public Property (Krom Raksa Thee Luang Lae Kalpana). It was responsible for the management of the funds of the King and his family, and the land donated to temples or for religious use—called Kalapana. At present, the Department of Religious Affairs takes charge of land donations, following a reform of ministries, bureaus, and departments. Since 3 October, 2002, the Treasury Department has taken charge of the Assets Appraisal Bureau, which used to be under the Department of Lands, Ministry of Interior. At present, the Treasury Department has many responsibilities: state property, the minting of coins, currency administration, management of valuable national assets, and asset appraisal.

The first official site of the Treasury Department was in the Grand Palace on Kuen Khan Niwet Road, where it remained until 1960 when the Department moved to Chakraphong Road, Chanasongkram, Pranakorn , Bangkok 10400. In 1992, it moved to the Ministry of Finance, Rama VI Road, Samsen Nai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400.

The Regional Treasury Offices in 76 provinces, and
     - The Regional Coin Exchange for 6 areas
     - Khon Kaen province
     - Ubonratchathani province
     - Chiangmai province
     - Nakornsawan province
     - Songkhla province
     - Suratthani province

 

Visitors read : 2474 times
Post By : Administrator